Having The Right Lawyer Changes Everything

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Medical Malpractice
  4.  | What Should You Do When You Suspect Medical Malpractice?

What Should You Do When You Suspect Medical Malpractice?

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2020 | Medical Malpractice

You know when something is wrong with your own body. You also know when you think that your doctor may have contributed to or worsened that issue for you.

For example, if you believe that your doctor misdiagnosed you or that they made a mistake with a procedure or treatment, you might suspect that their medical malpractice in your case has affected your health and even the cost of your treatment.

What should you do in a situation where you suspect medical malpractice?

The first step is usually to document your concerns

The more time that passes since what you believe is a medical mistake, the easier it will be for you to forget the most important details. Committing everything to writing or to video is a smart move.

You can record yourself describing the situation or write everything down. Details including dates, times of day, statements made by the physician and other medical professionals as well as the names of witnesses who might be able to corroborate your concerns are all valuable information that you may not be able to recall later.

Ask for copies of your medical records

As a patient, you have a right to copies of your medical records. Asking for these documents when you leave an appointment or get discharged from the hospital is smart. That way, if anyone tries to change the records later, you will have the original documentation.

Go somewhere else to get a second opinion

You can then take your paperwork to a separate facility — ideally one that does not have any corporate ties to the hospital or doctor who has been treating you. You can ask that physician to review the care you received and explain that you want a second opinion.

If that doctor believes that you didn’t receive the right diagnosis or treatment based on what you say and the records you provide, then it may be time to ask for copies of documentation from that visit and consider speaking with an attorney.